Make a Difference


In this blog I hope to be able to provide the latest County news and happenings.
Along the right hand side of the blog are links to My Views on specific county issues.
Also included are links to my email, other county, state and federal representatives, and some interesting pictures and postcards from the past.

We need to hold all of our County representatives accountable in these difficult economic times.
Please support and comment on this blog and together we can make Cortland County a better place to live.
COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

Friday, July 20, 2007

7/19/07 - IT'S OFFICIAL! I am Running for Legislature!

Brown will not seek Nov. re-election

(As published by Cortland Standard, Corey Preston reporting)

After 10 years on the Cortland County Legislature, Chairman Marilyn Brown (D-8th Ward) said Wednesday that she will not be seeking re-election in November.

“It’s been 10 interesting years, but I think it’s time for someone else from my district to come forth,” Brown said of her decision, noting she looked forward to devoting more time to her personal life.

Brown said that her 10 years in the Legislature, including the past two as chairman, have been educational, with both accomplishments and disappointments.

“I would have liked to have been able to do more to reduce taxes for the taxpayers,” she said. “But I am proud that we hired a county administrator, and since then the county’s overall financial condition has improved greatly.”

Brown touted Democrat Chad Loomis, a resident of 73 Church St., as a worthy successor to her seat. “I feel that Chad Loomis is a very bright young man who would bring a lot of good ideas and expertise to the Legislature if he should be elected,” she said.

Loomis, who is a professional engineer at Cornell University and a member of the county Planning Board, said Wednesday he has been circulating petitions to run for the 8th Ward seat, and he planned to file the petitions by today’s 5 p.m. deadline.

“I’m taking the plunge,” Loomis, who in 2005 ran unsuccessfully for alderman in the 8th Ward, said jokingly. “I really enjoyed running two years ago, I learned a lot from talking to people in the neighborhood, and I think there’s a lot of work that still needs to be done.”

During the 2005 campaign — he was defeated by Alderman Tom Michales (R-8th Ward)— Loomis said the two issues he heard the most about from constituents were taxes and the lack of business growth and job opportunities in the county.

So here we are - I have decided to run for County Legislature!

I am continuing to note the County issues and follow the Legislature in their actions and decisions as November (and beyond) approaches.

Please continue to visit my blog, I am going to maintain this site throughout the Election season as a way to communicate to LD-8 and the County.

I encourage you to sign my guestbook, comment on the posts, and leave messages on issues and ideas.

THANKS!

No comments: