Make a Difference


In this blog I hope to be able to provide the latest County news and happenings.
Along the right hand side of the blog are links to My Views on specific county issues.
Also included are links to my email, other county, state and federal representatives, and some interesting pictures and postcards from the past.

We need to hold all of our County representatives accountable in these difficult economic times.
Please support and comment on this blog and together we can make Cortland County a better place to live.
COMMUNICATION IS KEY!

Monday, November 19, 2007

Traffic

I wanted to put out my view on traffic in the City of Cortland. Having lived in the City since 1993, and just outside the City prior, I have noticed that traffic over the last several years has been steadily worsening, particularly during rush hour.

I believe that a lot of problems with downtown stores and traffic has to do with a one-way Main Street. Although having a four lane (two each way) section of Church Street may alleviate some issue, there is no place to move around Main Street to the South - the college Hill is in the way. Generally a one-way street with access from either side wouldn't impact overall traffic patterns, but add in the Hill to one side, and lack of access from Church Street and the congestion with Groton Ave and Clinton and I think you'll agree that something should be done.

I'll bet anyone who reads this blog has been caught up in traffic issues anywhere around Main Street from 4-6 pm, such as Tompkins Street (backed up past the YWCA); Port Watson Street (backed up almost to Greenbush Street); Church Street (that darned double light at Elm and Clinton Avenue); Groton Ave (backed up to the parking lot and even to the Hollywood if it's really bad); and obviously Clinton Avenue.

So what do we do? I think we should study traffic patterns and as a minimum get the flow working better in that neighborhood. We need to make our City more traffic friendly, and prevent people from being frustrated with downtown. Our community has invested a lot of money into fascades and improvements to downtown, but if people can't get there because they are frustrated, it goes to waste.

I would be open to a two way Main Street again - I think it has some advantages in parking, and would help businesses. People driving down Tompkins Street wouldn't have to loop around Church Street, go over or around the Hill and approach from Groton Avenue, and Clinton Street wouldn't be the "funnel" for 75% of the traffic.

Couple that with better parking, and I think we could revitalize downtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your site....you bring up some excellent points, and I'll be keeping an eye on commentary. Glad you're on board!!